Important Update for 2021: In an effort to support businesses as they work to recover from the COVID-19 pandemic, the AGCO is authorizing eligible “By the Glass” licensees to temporarily extend or add a temporary physical extension of their licensed premises, until January 1, 2022 at 3:00 a.m.
Eligible “By the Glass” licensees do not need to submit an application to extend their licensed premises for the duration of 2021, provided they meet certain requirements.
To be eligible for a temporary patio extension under the AGCO’s 2021 patio policy you must have a valid “By the Glass” licence, be permitted to open for on-site consumption and must meet the criteria as set out below:
- The physical extension of the premises is adjacent to:
- the premises to which the licence to sell liquor applies; or
- a dock to which the boat is attached and may include land adjacent to the dock; or
- the licensed premises under the “By the Glass” licence;
- The municipality in which the premises is situated has indicated it does not object to an extension;
- The licensee is able to demonstrate sufficient control over the physical extension of the premises;
- There is no condition on the licence prohibiting a patio;
- The capacity of any temporary extension, allows for at least 1.11 square metres per person; and
- In the case of “By the Glass” licensees, the sale and service of the wine, beer and/or spirits manufactured by the manufacturer within the physical extension of the premises is primarily aimed at promoting the manufacturer’s product and either providing an enhanced tourist experience or fulfilling an educational purpose.