The Cyber Centre has seen an increase in reports of malicious actors using the COVID-19 in phishing campaigns and malware scams. The Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC), with support from public health officials and agencies across Canada is leading the response with information on their website.
- Beware of Fakes: Phishing is the act of sending mass emails that appear to be from a legitimate source, but contain malicious attachments or links. The emails are written to trick receivers into opening attachments or clicking on links that permit threat actors to obtain personal credentials, or gain unauthorized access to a computer system.
- Protect yourself against malicious emails, attachments, and websites by exercising caution when clicking on unfamiliar URLs, looking for typos, and installing anti-virus software.
- Use unique pass-phrases and complex passwords.
- Apply updates to your mobile devices, computers, and applications.
- Store your data securely and know your backup procedures.
- Secure your social media and email accounts.
Click here to read more and access more resources to ensure cyber security.